Many managers think of marketing as a department consisting of several types of career people: marketing planers, marketing researchers, adverting and sales promotion specialists, customer service personnel, new product managers, product and brand managers, market segment managers, and of course sales people .Their collective job is to analyze the market , disconcert opportunities ,formulate marketing strategies , develop specific tactic tics and actions, propose a budget, and establish a set of controls. But this view does not go for enough. Marketing is also responsible for driving the rest of the company to be customer-focused and market driven.Today’s markets are changing at an incredible pace. In addition to globalization and technological change, we are witnessing a power shift from manufacturers to giant retailers, a rapid growth and acceptance of store brands, new retail forms, growing consumer price and value sensitivity, a diminishing role for mass marketing and advertising, and a disconcerting erosion of brand loyalty. These changes are throwing companies in to a state of confusion regarding strategy. To protect their profits, companies have primarily responded by cutting their costs, re-engineering their processes and downsizing their forces.
Marketing is not like Euclidean geometry, a fixed system of concepts and axioms. Rather, marketing is one of the most dynamic fields within the management arena. The market place continually throws out fresh challenges, and companies must respond. Therefore it is not surprising that new marketing ideas keep surfacing to meet the new marketplace challenges. Hence, the marketing curriculum is responsible for incorporating all these issues so that students will be capable of managing today’s organizations. Thus, based on the explanations given above and Higher Education Relevance and Quality Assurance Agency’s direction on minimum major course credit hour requirement, it requires for the department to make a major curriculum revision.
1. RATIONALE OF THE PROGRAM
Marketing Management is a crucial element in economic growth of a country. It brings together the four pieces (product, price, promotion and place) together to achieve a given company its objective.. Marketing is a backbone for any organization for the achievement of their goals. Therefore the rationale of this program is rests on the highly demand of the program with business community.
- OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAM
Through this programs, the department has the objective of producing:
- professionals who are capable of market planning, organizing, directing and controlling activities of private, public, non-government and government organizations;
- professionals who can competently manage marketing, finance operations, human resource, materials, information resources etc.;
- professionals who are responsive and effective in working with and through others as well as capable of making and implementing decisions;
- professionals capable of searching and developing opportunities as well as tackling problems;
- professionals who are able to face the challenges of today’s and tomorrow’s highly complex and competitive environment.
3. ADMISSION REQUIREMENT
Applicants for admission to the Bachelor degree program in Marketing Management must satisfy one of the following criteria:
- A successful completion of the two year preparatory program with the minimum University Entrance Examinations result set for admission by Ministry of Education for the entry year
- Completion of Diploma program (12+2), (10+3, Level 4) with two years relevant work experience after graduation and Center of Competency (COC) certified and who pass the University’s entrance examination
- A degree program student from other accredited Higher Education Institutions who with drawn for non – academic problems
- A first degree graduate in any field of study from accredited Higher Education Institutions
- These minimum requirements can be scaled up when there is high competition for admission or when the senate of the University wants to scale it up
When there is high competition for admission, grade point average at graduation, additional training after graduation, service year, gender and supporting letter from their employers shall be consider to offer the limited opportunities.
4. DURATION OF THE PROGRAM
The normal duration of the BA degree will be 9 semesters (3 years) for distance mode. A total of 111 credit hours of courses work and graduate project over the period mentioned above are normally regarded as a full load.